See photos (2)

Les villages détruits

Historical sites and monuments, Ruins and remains in Suippes
  • In the aftermath of the war, nothing remains of the villages located in the heart of the red zone, razed, buried, annihilated.
    The military camps of Moronvilliers and Suippes contain 7 destroyed villages: Moronvillers, Nauroy, Ripont, Tahure, Perthes-les-Hurlus, Hurlus, and Mesnil-les-Hurlus.
    The last 5 still present moving vestiges, in particular of their church and their cemetery.
    Stones from the churches of each of the destroyed villages can be found on the embankment of the Church of...
    In the aftermath of the war, nothing remains of the villages located in the heart of the red zone, razed, buried, annihilated.
    The military camps of Moronvilliers and Suippes contain 7 destroyed villages: Moronvillers, Nauroy, Ripont, Tahure, Perthes-les-Hurlus, Hurlus, and Mesnil-les-Hurlus.
    The last 5 still present moving vestiges, in particular of their church and their cemetery.
    Stones from the churches of each of the destroyed villages can be found on the embankment of the Church of Sommepy-Tahure.

    Nauroy:
    To the east of Reims, the village of Nauroy, 122 inhabitants, was located during the conflict just behind the German fortified position of Monts-de-Champagne. It is an important crossroads for supply and relief and thus becomes an objective of the French artillery.
    The intensive bombardments of the French offensive of April 1917 will completely crush it. In 1919, it was not rebuilt. In 1959, the name of Nauroy was officially attached to that of Beine.
    In the 1920s, on the initiative of families from Nauroy, a small white stone chapel was erected. It serves as a War Memorial. The pediment, supported by two columns, represents a woman in tears against a background of desolation. This chapel is located in front of the remains of the cemetery and the old village church. This monument pays homage to the destroyed village of Nauroy.